Food and Event Safety


The sale of food in WA is regulated via the Food Act 2008 which, among other things, adopts the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. Under the provisions of the Food Act, persons wishing to sell food within the Shire of Kojonup are required to notify and/or register their business with the Shire of Kojonup. The relevant registration form is available here.

Proprietors of food businesses are required to produce only safe and suitable food; the standards of which are outlined in the various chapters of the Food Standards Code.

The Food Standards Code (here) is separated into four Chapters.

  1. Chapter 1 applies to most foods and include the labelling requirements
  2. Chapter 2 contains specific requirements for particular foods (more applicable to manufacturers of food)
  3. Chapter 3 contains the Food Safety Standards for the layout, facilities, maintenance and cleanliness of your food business.
  4. Chapter 4 contains numerous Primary Production Standards.

The document “Safe Food Australia” provides an overview of each of the standards which is available here.


Further information is available on the Department of Health’s website:

Thinking about starting a food manufacturing business

Assessment of businesses that manufacture food



Temporary food businesses are considered on a case by case basis. The relevant application form is available here. Temporary stalls are required to be set up in a manner that does not jeopardise food safety. Example of a stall layout available here.


Please see here for guidance in organising/holding public events.



The Department of Health’s website contains considerations regarding home based food businesses, information can be found here.


To operate a home based food business requires Shire development approval in addition to an approval under the Food Act. Applicants need to complete an application for development approval here and submit that together with the following:

  • A cover letter explaining the proposed activity
  • A floor plan of the house/business location showing the areas proposed to be used (including their size). The suitability of the intended work space will need to be assessed based on a site visit.
  • Classification of a home based business from a planning application perspective, will determined by the size of the space and nature of the business e.g. do people collect goods from your property?
  • Information on:
  • Food storage and transport
  • Cleaning procedures
  • Product labelling (as relevant)
  • Food recall procedure (if relevant)
  • Water SupplyThe development application fee for home based businesses is $222. There are currently no fees for food business notification/registrations.