Food and Event Safety


The sale of food in WA is regulated via the Food Act 2008 which, among other things, adopts the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. Under the provisions of the Food Act, persons wishing to sell food within the Shire of Kojonup are required to notify and/or register their business with the Shire of Kojonup. The relevant registration form is available here.

Proprietors of food businesses are required to produce only safe and suitable food; the standards of which are outlined in the various chapters of the Food Standards Code.

The Food Standards Code (here) is separated into four Chapters.

  1. Chapter 1 applies to most foods and include the labelling requirements
  2. Chapter 2 contains specific requirements for particular foods (more applicable to manufacturers of food)
  3. Chapter 3 contains the Food Safety Standards for the layout, facilities, maintenance and cleanliness of your food business.
  4. Chapter 4 contains numerous Primary Production Standards.

The document “Safe Food Australia” provides an overview of each of the standards which is available here.


Further information is available on the Department of Health’s website:

Thinking about starting a food manufacturing business

Assessment of businesses that manufacture food


Environmental Health Australia (EHA) offers I'M ALERT Food Safety Training Program that enables a consistent and efficient delivery of Food Safety Training.

This program is online, 24/7, seven days a week.



Temporary food businesses are considered on a case by case basis. The relevant application form is available here.

Temporary stalls are required to be set up in a manner that does not jeopardise food safety. Example of a stall layout available here.


Please see here for guidance in organising/holding public events.

SoKo - Public and Community Events application 


Why is approval needed?

You must obtain approval from the Shire to trade on any public land in the Shire of Kojonup. This will ensure that the Shire can manage the variety of activities in public places.

Public places includes Council land, and places that the public have a right of access, such as streets, thoroughfares and parks.

 Application for Stallholders / Traders Permit


The Department of Health’s website contains considerations regarding home based food businesses, information can be found here.

To operate a home based food business requires Shire development approval in addition to an approval under the Food Act.

Applicants need to complete an application for development approval here and submit that together with the following:

  • A cover letter explaining the proposed activity
  • A floor plan of the house/business location showing the areas proposed to be used (including their size). The suitability of the intended work space will need to be assessed based on a site visit.
  • Classification of a home based business from a planning application perspective, will determined by the size of the space and nature of the business e.g. do people collect goods from your property?
  • Information on food storage and transport
  • Information on cleaning procedures
  • Information on product labelling (as relevant)
  • Information on food recall procedure (if relevant)
  • Water Supply.
  • The development application fee for home based businesses is $222. There are currently no fees for food business notification/registrations.

Fees: Trading In Public Places

Fees (Payment must be received with the application at time of lodgement)     

Please allow up to 7 days for applications to be processed

Community Groups/Clubs/Not-For-Profit Organisations per day

No Charge

Trading Location Fee - Application and License


Trading Location Fee – Annual Renewal Fee


Trading Location Fee – Temporary Fee (1 month)


Trading Location Fee – Concession – Half Year Licences


Fees: Food Premises and Environmental Health Officer

Fees (Payment must be received with the application at time of lodgement)     

Please allow up to 7 days for applications to be processed

Community Groups/Clubs/Not-For-Profit Organisations 

No Charge

Food Premises inspection and licence renewal - High Risk


Food Premises inspection and licence renewal - Medium Risk


Food Premises inspection and licence renewal) - Low Risk


Resource Sharing with other Local Governments (per hour)


Vehicle Usage per kilometre


Public Septic Inspections